Thursday, February 6, 2014

Every Member a Missionary

I had an incredible realization the other day and I just thought I would share it will y'all. When I first got out to the mission field I felt very inadequate. What missionary doesn't? What member of the church at one point or another has felt uncomfortable or inadequate enough to approach a friend, loved one, or acquaintance about the Gospel? I know that this has been a real challenge for me and I am constantly worried about saying the right things asking God:
"Why would you send someone like me? Who is certainly not the most knowledgeable of the scriptures, and who certainly is not the most ideal cookie cutter "Mormon" to preach to these people. Who will listen Lord?" 
Now for the aw-ha moment that y'all have been waiting for. A few weeks back when I was feeling very down having these thoughts constantly run through my mind. I got a craving to read one of my favorite stories from the Old Testament. I wanted to read the story of Moses, so that is exactly what I did. And behold, in Exodus 4:10 it says,
"O Lord, I am not eloquent, neither heretofore, nor since thou hast spoken unto thy servant: but I am slow of speech and of a slow tongue." 
Here we see that Moses is giving a lot of the same excuses to God, that we do in our everyday life's. And yes they are excuses. He is saying the exact same thing that was playing through my mind the whole week. 
"Why me? Why now? I do not have the words....don't make me go..."
 Moses felt scared to confront the people in Egypt, his people. I am scared that I am going to offend someone, and turn them away from the Gospel forever. But listen to what God says in verse 11
  "Who hath made man's mouth? Or who maketh the dumb, or deaf, or the seeing, or the blind? Have not I the Lord?"
I love what God is saying here because it is true. God created everything, he knows our weaknesses and our strengths. He knows what greatness we are capable of beyond our own current knowledge. He would not command us to do something if he didn't KNOW we could do it. But the Lord doesn't end their, in the next verse he says,
"Now therefore go, And I will be with thy mouth, and teach thee what thou shalt say."
God doesn't just leave Moses cold turkey telling him to go and do the things which he has commanded. No, he provides comfort and help by telling him that he will be with him and he will give him the words. God give's us this same promise. He has called each of us to be a missionary, every member a missionary. By doing so, he has promised us that if we exercise the faith in him and open our mouths he will be their to aid us in words. I challenge y'all who are reading this to find a time to kneel down and pray about who you can help by sharing the restored Gospel with them. Then ask God to aid you in approaching that person about the Gospel. D&C 18:15 
"And if it so be that you should labor all your days in crying repentance unto this people, and bring, save it be one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy with him in the kingdom of my Father!" 
We all are scared to share the Gospel, but think of how great our joy shall be if we choose to bring one unto the Gospel as promised in D&C 18:15? I know these things to be true, and I know that this Gospel is the only way to have true happiness. That being said, don't you think it's a little bit selfish to not share it with the rest of the world then? I know God will bless you for your bravery. You just need to have enough faith to open your mouth. Now go get them, its your turn.


No comments:

Post a Comment